Edit copy for print and online editions of the newspaper and magazine; write headlines, proof printed pages, and engage with staff writers, freelancers and guest columnists on clarity, accuracy and newsworthiness in their articles. Work with production staff to assemble error-free pages ahead of deadline.
Responsibilities & Essential Functions:
- Proofread all stories and columns in the newspaper and magazine before publication.
- Edit editorial copy for grammatical, fact and AP Style mistakes.
- Write and revise headlines, subheds, photo captions and infographics for accuracy and visual appeal
- Budget daily Trial Notebook columns and case summary submissions into editions days in advance
- Serve as a backup contact to the paper’s editor and magazine’s managing editor.
- Identify newswire copy to supplement newspaper’s original content.
- Education – At least a bachelor’s degree in English or journalism, with a preference for those with a journalism degree.
- Experience – Journalism experience at a magazine or newspaper required, and legal expertise a plus.
- Core Competencies (underlying skills, abilities, knowledge, experience, technologies or processes essential for position)
- Regular attendance
- Knowledge of Associated Press-style
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work under the pressure of a deadline
- Strong communication skills
- An office environment in a controlled atmosphere building.
We offer a competitive, comprehensive compensation package. Interested candidates should send a cover letter with resume including salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.